Monday 8 October 2012

Lone Runner

Essentially I am a Lone Runner. 

I have run a few times with friends, and I have enjoyed it, but on the whole I enjoy the flexibility of doing my own thing, going out when I'm ready to go out, working just myself with my Garmin, enjoying the green excercise and seeing and listening to nature. 

I like the solitary time. As a Lone Runner I can think clearly, puff and pant, and talk to myself without bothering anyone else.

On my last long run of my half marathon training last week I thought a lot. I concentrated on my pace (not too fast, so I would manage the whole 12 miles), and enjoyed what was around me as the weather was not unfavourable.

During my run I saw

A few minutes of rain
2 pairs of Jays
20 or so Magpies
River boats going through the lock
A pair of black swans
Several ducks
Cotton reel hay bales wrapped in black plastic
4 other runners
Dogs and dog-walkers along the tow path
Autumn leaves on the trees
Cyclists
Squelchy muddy patches
*And a heron standing still as a statue in the pond in the nature reserve...

Surrounded by so much. I don't live in the middle of the countryside, I live just 3 miles from Reading town centre.

But even in suburbia, the Lone Runner is rarely alone.... 

*edited 12/10 - nearly forgot Mr Heron!




No comments:

Post a Comment